Finding a research position can be challenging. There are more students than available opportunities. Here we list principles that can help you obtain a research experience.
- Persistence Pays – expect some rejections, but take them in stride.
- Be Creative and Proactive – take advantage of opportunities available to you.
- Start Early – best time to start is during your freshman year.
- Have Confidence – everybody starts at the beginning.
- Talk to Your Professors – many of them are quite nice.
- Make Yourself Visible – attend seminars, office hours, events and talk with people.
- Look Outside the College – institutes, gov’t organizations, hospitals, non-profits.
- Surf the Web – opportunities are everywhere. We have included a few links to some places to start.